With the legislative session coming to an end I wanted to send you a quick update on some of the major items the South Carolina House of Representatives successfully passed. The past few weeks the House has been consumed with ensuring a fiscally sound budget and delivering on some long overdue government restructuring. As we continue to fight for these key conservative agenda items, I am pleased to report the following advances in the House on our reform agenda:
- Fully funded the Deepening of the Charleston Port Harbor to fast track this project
- Fully funded the small business Income Tax Cut 4-years ahead of schedule
- Protected funding for our Public Schools, increased Teacher salaries & Strengthened our Charter Schools
- Point of Sale Reform to give homeowners more equal property rights
- Lawsuit Abuse Reform to put a stop to expensive, frivolous lawsuits
- Passed a plan to Cut and Flatten personal income tax rates
- Retirement Reform to keep our state retirement system solvent
- Strengthened our Right-to-Work laws (a major reason why Boeing is here)
Just this week, South Carolina surpassed Michigan as the number one auto exporting state in the nation. “Made in South Carolina” is a label seen all over the world and one I am proud to stand behind. We are committed to ensuring that South Carolina remains a state that is known around the world as a leading business and consumer friendly environment. If you haven’t already, join the discussion on my Facebook page and share your ideas on how we can continue to move our state forward. I invite you to join in here: www.facebook.com/RHarrellJr and I look forward to reading your responses.
As we wrap up the final work of this session I want to thank you for the trust you have placed in me as your Speaker at the State House. We’ll send out a more in-depth Legislative Update in a few weeks. Hopefully, it will include good news about these last few conservative issues the House is fighting to accomplish this year. As always, should you have any questions or if there is anything I can assist you with, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Speaker, South Carolina House of Representatives